To make a field on your form required/mandatory, follow the steps below:
- From the fields page, click on the field name.
- Click ‘Add Validation’.
- Set the validation type to "Required".
- Add an appropriate 'Error Message' such as “Please enter your first name” (this is the message the will display if the field is left blank) and click update.
- The 'Initial Value' is normally only used with Dropdown type fields. For all other field types, leave this blank. It can be set to a value that is being displayed to prompt the user for information. Example: For a Dropdown type field where the first item in the list has Value="Select Car", then set the 'Initial Value' for the validation to "Select Car". The result of doing this is that "Select Car" will be treated as a invalid entry when the validation is performed, so the user will be prompted with the 'Error Message' you have listed.
- Test your message by viewing the form and trying to submit a registration leaving the field blank. If you have payment options on your form you will need to select a payment option before the system checks for required fields.