There is an app available in the Salesforce App Exchange to get your registration data from the ePly system into your Salesforce account. You can find this app by searching on ePly in the Salesforce app exchange.*Note - this app is not yet available in the app exchange, to start working with the app now, please contact ePly for a link to access it.
- ePly staff can only offer limited support on this integration.
- This app must be installed and configured by someone within your organization with knowledge of Salesforce and how your organization uses it and sufficient permissions. ePly cannot be held responsible for unexpected changes to data in your Salesforce account related to the use of this app.
- Always test the app and related settings using a Sandbox account (testing area) before importing data to your actual Salesforce account.
- When mapping fields from ePly to your Salesforce account be very careful. It is possible to unintentionally overwrite your original Salesforce data
Installing the ePly Salesforce App
*Note - this app is not yet available in the app exchange, to start working with the app now, please contact ePly for a link to access it.
To find this app, search on the term "ePly" in the Salesforce app exchange and follow the steps to download and install it.
After you have the app installed in your Salesforce account you will have access to two new tabs called Import Options and Mapping Option
The Enterprise, Unlimited or Developer edition of Salesforce is required to use this app.
Getting Your API Token from ePly
After you install ePly app in your Salesforce account, you will need to contact ePly to provide you with an API Token.
Please email email@example.com
to request an API Token be created for your ePly account. Include the name of your account in the ePly system and your contact information.
Once you have your API token, login to Salesforce and navigate to:
Setup->Develop->Custom Settings->EplyCredential->Manage->Edit->Api Token
You will also need to enter the username and password for a user in the ePly system with access to the form(s) you want to import data from. Follow these steps to add a user in ePly. You may want to set up a user that is only used for this purpose so that one of your existing users does not need to share their password.
Once you have made these settings, navigate to the Import Options tab and click on "Refresh" and confirm that the list of events from ePly show up in the drop down list on this page.
Mapping Fields from ePly to Salesforce
Once you have the app installed in your Salesforce account the first step will be to map fields from ePly to fields in Salesforce. The mapping settings allow you to control how and where data from ePly will be inserted into your Salesforce account.
Navigate to the Mapping Options tab in Salesforce. There are three main areas on this page:
Form and Object Selection
- Choose a form from the drop down.
- In the ePly Object drop down choose Registration - this refers to the main registrant on your registration form. The other option in the dropdown, Registration Member is used to map fields related to reg groups set up on your form (group or guest registrations made on the same form as the main guest).
- Choose a campaign in SF if you have a campaign set up and would like the leads/contact from ePly added to that campaign.
Field Mapping for Matching Leads/Contacts and Data Import
This area is used to determine if a registrant from ePly already exists in your Salesforce account. To prevent duplicate leads from showing up in your Salesforce account, the email address field must always be mapped in this area.
If you would like to set other criteria that must match before the system considers a registrant from ePly a match with a lead/contact in your Salesforce account a match add additional rows and select the fields.
For example if you want to only consider a match when the email address and last name exactly match then add a new row and select the last name as in the image below.
If a positive match is not made the system will insert a new lead into your Salesforce account using the data from ePly.
Field Mapping For Data Import Only
This is the area where you tell the system where to save ePly registration data in your Salesforce account.
You can map any number of fields in this area. If you check the overwrite box for a row, the data from ePly for that row will overwrite the data in Salesforce IF the matching criteria above is met for a particular lead or contact.
You must map fields together with a matching data type. For example registration time stamp from ePly must be mapped to a field in Salesforce setup as type date/time. If your data types do not match, you will see a warning when you save the mapping page.
Fields in ePly that must be mapped to fields in Salesforce with the same data type are:
Required field type in Salesforce
Last changed date
Notes On Mapping
- If you map 2 ePly fields to the same place in Salesforce only the first value will be saved.
- Fields in ePly allow 3996 characters, but the number of characters allowed in Salesforce fields depend on the field type set in Salesforce. If the number of characters from ePly exceeds the number allowed by the field type in Salesforce, Salesforce will truncate the ePly data to fit the field.
- If you set a campaign on the mapping page, do an import and then later set a different campaign and import again, the leads and contacts will be a part of both campaigns.
- If you are mapping a field from ePly to the Campaign Status field in Salesforce, the values from ePly must exactly match a value in the Campaign Status field or the field will not be populated.
- If you map a field from ePly to a custom drop down/pick list field in SF, the data from ePly must exactly match a value in Salesforce or the field will not be updated unless you uncheck the box on the Salesforce custom field that says - Restrict picklist to the values defined in the value set.
Importing Data to Salesforce
Once you have completed mapping the ePly fields to your Salesforce fields you can import your data.
- Click the Import Options Tab.
- Click refresh events if you need to update your event list.
- Check the box next to the event(s) that you want to import data from.
- Click save at the bottom of the page.
- To do a one-time import of data or to manually control when the data is imported click the “Import Registration Data Now” button.
- If you would like to have your data automatically imported on a set frequency choose an option from the automatic import drop down list and click save.
Notes on Importing
- After an automatic or manual import it may take several minutes for you to see the new and or updated leads and contacts.
- You should limit the number of forms automatically importing to Salesforce to forms that actively have new registrations coming in to avoid conflicts.
- For example, if you have the same person registered on more than form in ePly and they used a different phone number for each registration, each time the import runs the phone number may change in salesforce if you have the overwrite box check for phone number on the mapping screen.
- If you have 2 or more registrants in ePly using the same email address and you are only matching leads and contacts on email address, the system will only import the first registrant with that email address that it encounters (this is also true for any other exact matches).
- If you have any fields set to overwrite Salesforce data with data from ePly and the system encounters another match based on the criteria you have set, then just that one field will be overwritten with the second encountered registration.
For example if you have the following registrants in the system
Mary Smith - firstname.lastname@example.org
Jane Jones - email@example.com
and have the overwrite box for the last name mapping checked, when the system gets to Mary Smith, she will be inserted as a new lead and then when it gets to Jane Jones, because an exact match will be made based on email and last name is set to overwrite, Mary’s last name will be change to Jones.
The system is working correctly in this case. To prevent this from happening be sure that your matching criteria is strict enough if you have any duplicate email addresses in ePly and be careful using the overwrite checkbox on the mapping page.
Populating registration form fields with data from your Salesforce account
Rather than uploading a list of potential registrants to the ePly system, you can have the ePly system query your salesforce account to determine if a registrant is permitted to register for a particular event and/or populate fields on the registration form with data from Salesforce. To get started with this option contact ePly.