After a registration is submitted, registrants are typically sent one or more automated emails.
The main email will confirm their registration and other emails may include credit card receipts, invoices or other instructions.
Event Confirmation Email, Thank You Email
The primary purpose of the confirmation is to confirm that the registration was received, the first line is usually similar to "Thank you for registering..." We suggest that you include a lot more information in this email:
- Reconfirm that registering for the event was a good decision to minimize and potential buyers remorse.
- Remind people what they registered for.
- Provide a handy reference of details such as the times, date, location, map link, etc. Many people will refer to the email on there phone especially when they are on the way to the event.
- Answer any other questions registrants might have. If you do a good job of covering off the basics, it will help to reduce the number of calls and emails you get from people asking questions, there are some examples below.
- Provide your contact information.
Sample Confirmation Email Text
Dear [First Name],
Thank you for registering for the [enter name of event]. We have a great event planned and know that you will [enter some event benefits]
The event starts at [time and date] and will be held at [venue and address]. Here is a link to a map [map link].
[enter other content here depending on the event, see below for ideas]
If you have any questions please contact [name and phone number of contact person].
Thank you and see you at the event!
Other content ideas for your confirmation emails:
- Name of the event, time, date and location.
- Where to check in and what time check in starts.
- If it's a ticketed event, give instructions - if people need to bring a ticket with them, pick it up at at the event or just give their name at the door.
- Name, phone number and email address of a contact person the participant can call if they have questions.
- Link to an online map.
- Links to hotel websites or restaurants listings in the area.
- Suggested areas to park and costs, and any transit routes to the event (an online map would be useful here too).
- Itinerary of the event.
- What to bring.
- What not to bring.
- Links to sponsors websites.
- Mention of the speakers or other specific details.
- Mention age restrictions if necessary.
- Other important details such as "Wear comfortable shoes as we will be walking between areas" or "Bring a coat as the reception is outside".
- Encourage people to mention the event to other people.
- Follow some email best practices to avoid having your email get caught in SPAM filters, see this related article about email invitation best practices for some ideas.
- Avoid words like 'Free', '$$$', 'Save', 'Discount', ‘Please read’ or ‘Special Promotion’ in the body or subject line
- Use lots of white space so that the email is easy to read and scan through
- Separate out the key information so it’s easy to find.
- Refer to the event name in the subject line, i.e.; "ABC AGM 2008 Registration Confirmation."
- Sender Name - Use a recognizable sender name so your registrants can immediately see who the email is from.
Email Invoice, Cheque/Check Notification
If your registration form allows people to pay by cheque, you will want to have the system automatically generate and email an invoice.
This email should include:
- The name of the event and date.
- The amount owing.
- A break down of any taxes.
- How to make the payment
- Who to make the cheque out to
- Where to send it
- A deadline for the payment to be made.
Sample Invoice Email
Dear [First Name],
Thank you for registering for [FormName].
Please print this invoice for your records.
Primary Registrant: [First Name] [Last Name]
Total Payable -
Please make your check payable to [Enter Name] and mail to [Enter mailing address].
Your check must be dated the date of registration and received within [enter number of days] business days of your registration. Your registration is not completed until your payment has been received.
Adjust the wording and details as necessary for your situation.
Cheque Received Email
This is a sample of an email that you could set up to manually send after a registrant mails you a cheque and you have recorded it in the system.
Email Subject Line: [EventName] Registration Receipt
Thank you for your payment for the [Event Name].
Name: [First Name] [Last Name]
Phone: [Phone Number]
Total Due: [Total+]