Integrate a Zoom web conferencing account with ePly to create virtual meetings or webinars alongside your registration forms in ePly. Registrants’ check-in status will be updated if they join the meeting.
This integration does 3 things:
- Allows for the creation or assignment of a single Zoom meeting/webinar with an ePly form.
- Automatically creates Zoom participants for ePly registrants.
- Automatically changes ePly registrants’ check-in status and records a timestamp of when they joined the Zoom meeting/webinar.
Moving forward in this article, the term meeting will be used to reference both Zoom meetings and webinars.
All Zoom plans are compatible. If you don’t have an account, you can sign up for the Basic plan for free at zoom.us/signup to test Zoom and this integration. Note that in most cases, you will want a Pro account or higher when planning an actual virtual event as the Basic plan limits meetings to 40 minutes. If you plan to conduct Zoom webinars you will need to add their Webinar add-on.
The main different between a Zoom meeting and a webinar is that meetings are more interactive where participants can control their video and audio and webinar participants are view-only but with access to chat. The full list of differences can be found on the Zoom website here.
You will need to create a JWT app in the Zoom Marketplace or if you already have one setup, obtain the JWT app's API Key and Secret values. Follow the steps below to create a JWT app and input its API key and secret in your ePly account under Account Settings > General Information. Once you save the page, you will be able to create a Zoom meeting on any ePly form moving forward. Note that these values are not from you regular Zoom account settings.
Zoom Marketplace JWT App API values, example:
Create a Zoom Marketplace JWT App:
- Visit https://marketplace.zoom.us/, login and accept the terms of service.
- Select Develop(top), select Build App and select Create under JWT App. This app will not be public and is only used by ePly to create or fetch a Zoom meeting, create participants and retrieve a timestamp of when they joined the meeting.
- When asked for an app name, use a generic name like "[Your organization's name] JWT App”. The name doesn't matter but only a single JWT app can be created in your Zoom account.
- Complete the company name, name, email address fields and select Continue.
- Select Copy next to API key. Paste it in ePly under Account Settings > General Information. Repeat for API Secret. Select Continue.
- Go back to Zoom and click Feature then Toggle on Event Subscriptions and click Add new event subscription. Use “ePly Integration” for the subscription name and “https://events.eply.com/tools/webhooks.aspx?o=zoom” for the Event notification endpoint URL.
- Click Add events under Event Types. Check off the following options under both Meetings and Webinars.
- End Meeting
- Participant/Host joined meeting
- Select Done to return to the previous page. Note that “4 events added” should appear under Event types. Select Save which will collapse the subscription settings and select Continue one last time.
- You should see a message that your app is activated. You can logout.
Create a meeting
A Zoom meeting can be created or assigned to an ePly form at any time.
- If the Zoom meeting is added before the form is open, registrants will receive an email from Zoom with join information at the same time as the ePly form confirmation.
- If the Zoom meeting is added after the form is open, any registrants that have already submitted the form will immediately receive the Zoom email.
To create the Zoom meeting, open an ePly form and navigate to Advanced Settings > Integrations.
- Click Add Meeting and complete the list of fields to create it.
- or Click Add Existing Meeting to input an ID you've already created in Zoom.
- In Zoom, the Registration required setting must be enabled and Only authenticated users can join cannot be enabled.
- If the ID is for a recurring meeting, its recurring setting in Zoom cannot be set to No Fixed Time. Registrants will be allowed to attend any occurrences.
- Clicking Delete Meeting will delete the meeting in ePly AND Zoom. This button is disabled after the host ends the meeting.
Note the following in-ePly Zoom settings:
- Zoom Account Email Address field must match your the email address for your Zoom account.
- Contact name and email are used as the From information of the Zoom email.
- Topic will be used as the subject of the Zoom email.
- ePly registrations are automatically created as Zoom participants but selecting Manually Approve for ApprovalType will require that the host manually approves any guest Zoom participants. This feature can help against "Zoombombing".
The meeting will be created upon saving this page. You can edit the meeting in ePly or Zoom at any time and registrants will receive an updated Zoom email. You can delete and recreate the meeting in ePly at any time before the meeting has started and registrants will get a new Zoom email.
Registrants should add the meeting to their calendars upon receiving the Zoom email to ensure they have easy access when the meeting occurs. Important: The join link in the Zoom email is unique to the registrant and should not be shared with another person. The registrant’s check-in status will be updated when anyone uses their link to join the meeting.
When the host has ended the meeting, ePly will automatically change registrants' check-in status and record the timestamp of when they joined the meeting. Note that the checked-in by username is shown as Zoom Attendance Retrieval on the Check-in report and that ePly will not update this status from Zoom again. You can manually change a Registrant’s status in ePly if need be but the checked-in by username will change to yours.
We are actively looking for feedback on this integration and encourage you to consider testing it for an upcoming virtual meeting.